Friday, July 25, 2008

A little Pacing in the racin'

Today's Verse: Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us.
Hebrews 12:1 / KJV
Now...what I take from this...may not necessarily be what is being conveyed here..if you continue on reading further into the context....but it put a thought in my head......watch out!....MPH is thinkin' again!.....The race....life truly seems to be a race....a marathon, a triathlon,....all the "thons and lons" together...and it's not without tremendous hurdles I might add..... What are we in such a hurry for? In a real race, runners are racing to get the 'finish' line. Well I don't know about you, but I'm really in NO hurry to get to my 'finish' line. I'd like to have long,.. long fulfilling life and the time to be a.... feisty... old, old, old, healthy, but waaayyy old, lady sitting on my front porch in a rocking chair with my coffee.....watching great great grandkinds run around before my finish line meets up with me. It seems to me, most of us...or at least I know I'm guilty..of waiting for tomorrow...or next week to get here....for something exciting that is going to happen....or even waiting for that time when our child speaks their first word, takes their first step...or loses their first tooth. What's our hurry? Shouldn't we just enjoy each day for what it is....and what we can make happen in our lives that day....I think I'll try to do that more. I've said it before....and now I'm saying it again....because we all need a little reminder from time to time........And I know it will be a challenge. If you're like me, many of us are just "waiting for the weekend," so we can spend time with family and friends and not think about work work work....other than work around the house I suppose ;-) And really...who WANTS to think about that. But ya know, we are never guaranteed tomorrow, so today is what we have. I'm going to try and learn to be a bit more patient in the race of life....not to sound cliche' ...but I want to live each day being thankful for today....hoping for an even better tomorrow, but exercising patience rather than always "ready in waiting" for the next exciting thing that's coming....I'll enjoy each day with Skylar for what she says and does on that day...and if I can...I'll even write it down! :-) I certainly don't want to rush her growing up....time goes by way to fast as it is. She'll be 2 1/2 at the end of next month and that just doesn't seem real. There's no shame in being excited about new things...events to come....but maybe a little pacing in our racing is something we could all use. Running long distances builds endurance.....you have to pace yourself...you can't run a continuing sprint all the time......or you could...but not without an oxygen tank and a pack of wolves chasing you....(although some coaches used to believe otherwise.....I never got along with them) ;-) Anyhow...just a thought. Let's enjoy today and everything that's good with life today....pace ourselves and build endurance for a long happy life....as the verse says....."Run with patience...the race that is set before us." Have a good run today!

No comments: